Monday, June 24, 2019

Digital Native or Immigrant?

I was born in the mid-'80s and grew up at a time when the concept of home computers was still new but not unheard of. Like Dr. Bogad we had a computer that we got from my uncle who was a teacher, and I remember the floppy discs and the printer paper that you had to feed in with the holes on the side and then tear apart (see example here). However, I also had a cell phone almost as soon as I knew how to drive and I remember getting my very first text message from my very first boyfriend and walking around asking my friends (here at RIC) if they knew what it was?! THEY DIDN'T!!! We all figured it out quickly and within months, if not weeks, we couldn't believe we had ever lived without texting.

In some ways, I feel like a digital native because I did grow up as many modern technologies were being created, I used computers in school and at home, and I am much more tech-savvy than my parents and even older cousins. However, I also feel like a digital immigrant because there is so much I don't know, and I tend to rely on the forms of technology that I am most familiar with. I feel like I learn things quickly when exposed to new technology but I am also hesitant to try new things. For example, this is my first attempt at blogging and at first I was like this isn't so bad...then it took me about 20mins to add a photo, haha!! But I think I've got it now? I think like most of us, I fall somewhere in the middle. (marc prensky)



2 comments:

  1. I think a lot of us would say that we fall in the middle (I know I do!) In my blog, I wrote about being a digital immigrant - but one is fluent in the language of digital literacy! I think a lot of us may be hesitant to "admit" being "immigrants" because society (SCWAAMP) assigns a negative connotation with being an immigrant. Being a digital immigrant somehow implies that we are less knowledgable - that does not have to be the case! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, I agree there is a negative connotation with being an immigrant. Therefore, why not utilize the many words available which provide a positive connotation especially when technology is the new way of teaching, communicating, creating, and learning. Why have students use these negative connotation that can isolate individuals.

    ReplyDelete